Monday, December 19, 2011

Goals and adventures

Several months ago a girlfriend and I were walking and she told me that every year she does the MS Stair Climb (link is refusing to work http://www.stepupforms.org.au/event-information.html ) which is a vertical challenge event involving 53 stories, 1096 stairs and lots of sweat and tears. She asked if I would like to do it with her next year and I said yes, of course, why not???

Gaaaaaaaaaaaaah wtf was I thinking??? lol

Seriously, I am looking forward to the event since I've never actually set myself this kind of goal before. Yes I've said I'll exercise to lose weight or get fit but fitting into a smaller dress size has always been the goal, not the doing of the activity itself.

Now I am unfit. Soooooo unfit. And lately it seems every time I start to motivate myself to start training again, something happens, I get sick or there's a family emergency or my mental health goes down the drain. There always seems to be one excuse after another. But if I am to do this stair climb, I am going to have seriously start training and soon.

In King's Park in the city there is a flight of stairs up the hill called Jacob's ladder which is roughly 240 stairs and the place to start training.
Unfortunately everyone else knows this and wants to be there at the same time and so it's crowded and busy and you get pushed along at a pace that is much faster than an unfit person should be pushing themselves. Also it's in the middle of the freaking city and is a bitch to get to through traffic.
And so I've found a set of 51 stairs down by the river up to the highway overpass and will start my training there. A couple of months ago I had started and got up to 11 reps (I need to reach 22) but now I doubt I could do 5. It's only five months till the climb though so I need to get this fat arse moving!

On Saturday night we were hanging out with our good mate Brooksey and he asked me if walking the Bibbulmun Track (and again blogger is not being cooperative http://www.bibbulmuntrack.org.au/ ) would be something I would be interested in. Obviously not the entire way since it's roughly 1000kms and takes about 8 weeks but walking it for about a week. He said it was something he has been thinking about doing for a while and he would feel a huge sense of achievement by doing it.

I was very vague about it, wasn't non-committal but didn't say yes; the idea intrigued me but we were off sky gazing and I had other things on my mind. The thought has been niggling though and the more I think about it, the more I think I'd really enjoy doing that. The first part of the track is about 75kms and it goes down to Canning and I think that would be a really great starting point. It would only take about four days to do that and it would be a great test to see if we were up to going further.

Obviously I really need to start getting my fitness levels up if I'm going to achieve my new goals but I think it's going to be a blast along the way! I shall keep you all posted!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can Do it!! Yes you can!!

There. Nettie, I know you CAN do this thing. Just start with the first step; the rest will follow.

*Hugs*

Mouse said...

It sounds like fun! Well, the hike sounds like fun. The stair climb sounds like hideous torture... ;-). (It'd be very satisfying to know you'd done it, though!)
I know you can do whatever you put your mind to. *hugs*

Hieronymous Anonymous said...

I'm with Rowenna on this - the stair climbing does NOT sound fun, but the hike sounds amazing! ;-)
We all know you can do it - have faith in yourself! xxx

Shawna said...

You are so amazing! Gotta agree with everyone else--you can do anything you set your mind to, I know it! Also, the hike sounds like it would be a blast. :-)